On Memorizing Whole Books of the Bible: Easier Than You Think

 

When I was in seminary, I listened in awe as a professor shared with the class how he had memorized the book of Philippians. I thought he was a prodigy. I knew I couldn't do that! And then, a few years later, I came across a tremendous resource.

This website offered a way to memorize the New Testament in five years.* All I had to do was memorize four to six new verses every day.

I began that project in 2010. And while I never came very close to memorizing the New Testament, I did manage to memorize whole books of the Bible, including Philippians.

For a while, I was very deliberate about my memory work, and I stuck to it. There was a time when each night before going to sleep I would rehearse one of those books. In hindsight, I wish I had never stopped. But eventually, I became busy with other things and let a lot of it slip.

Now that I have more time again, I have been going over my old verses, and I am amazed at how much I have retained, and still more amazed by how little work it has required to get back to where I was before. I can't tell you how grateful I am for that memory work.

Here I want to offer you five reasons for doing memory work, followed by a method for doing so.


Why Memorize Scripture?

First, memorizing Scripture is transforming. A friend of mine set out to memorize 1 Timothy. When he began, he was egalitarian. When he was finished, he was complementarian. He was a pastor, so he knew very well what 1 Timothy 2 said long before he began memorizing it. But as it worked its way into his heart and mind, he found he couldn't argue anymore.

It's one thing to read what Paul says and dismiss it as something that was relevant only to the culture of his day. But when you memorize not only what he says but also the reasons he gives, and those reasons keep going over and over in your mind, it's impossible not to be impacted by them.

I have experienced something similar again and again. There is something powerful about the way memorized Scripture works on the heart and mind. And when we memorize entire chapters and books, the context also becomes much clearer.

Second, memorizing Scripture brought me daily help and comfort. Often, just when I needed them, verses I had memorized would come to mind. 

Third, memorizing Scripture brought tremendous joy. 

Fourth, when I was actively memorizing Scripture, it was a help to my growth in holiness like nothing else has ever been (Psalm 119:11).

Fifth, memorizing Scripture will mean that when you are in a sickbed or in a prison, you will still have at least a portion of the Bible. 


How to Memorize Scripture

First, choose a version of the Bible and stick with it. I chose the King James Version for a number of reasons. Here's one worth considering: you can reproduce and circulate as much of the King James Version as you like without worrying about copyright. You can't do that with modern translations! 

Second, stick with the same Bible if possible. Using the same Bible will help you visualize what you have memorized.

Third, memorize at least one new verse every day. If you memorize four to six every day, you can work your way through the New Testament in five years.

Fourth, go over verses you have memorized in your spare time.

Fifth, when you memorize new verses, go over them every day for a week. Then review them once a week for a month, and once a month for the rest of your life. Once you have memorized an entire chapter, review that chapter once a week for a month, and then once a month for the rest of your life.

At the moment, I am not adding new verses to what I have already memorized. I am simply going over old material. Since I am a bit rusty, I am doing one chapter per day, but each day I also go over everything I have done before. So, if on Monday I did chapter 1, on Tuesday I will do chapters 1 and 2, and then on Wednesday chapters 1–3.

When I have it down and can recite it seamlessly every day for a week, I move to once a week and then once a month.

Sixth, start with something relatively simple, like 1 Timothy or Titus. Once you see a little progress, you will be encouraged to continue.


A Word to Those who are Young

In a sermon to children, J. C. Ryle gave some advice that we would be very wise to heed:

"Youth and childhood are your summer. Now you are strong and well. Now you have plenty of time. Now you have few worries and troubles to distract you. Now is the best time for laying up food for your souls. Ah, my beloved children, you must remember that winter is before you! Old age is your winter. Your frost, and snow, and rain, and storms, are all yet to come. Sorrow, pain, sickness, death and judgment, will all come with old age. Happy are those who get ready for it in good time. Happy are those who, like the ants, take thought for things to come! They are wise boys and girls who read their Bibles, and learn many texts by heart."

* The website has been removed.

This post is based on an earlier post from 2020. It has been edited and updated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On mask wearing and obeying civil authorities

The Church of God & Ray Tinsman

Our Compromise in the Face of Covid-19: An open letter to the Church