The Worldly Wiseman Exegetes Romans 13
Introduction
Monday I was waiting to hear an interview with Pastor Jacob Reaume of Trinity Bible Chapel. The morning talk show host was discussing the church's defiance of the provincial orders, and as you might imagine he was scathing in his criticism. He was taking calls, and I listened as a woman from Peterborough area called in with a question. She was also opposed to what Trinity Bible Chapel had done, but she was puzzled. Why had Mike Farwell spoken so favourably of schools (in some parts of Ontario) opening? He had just done so the week before! Wasn't it the same thing? In both cases more than 10 would be gathering, and so in both cases there was increased risk of the spread of Covid-19.
The woman calling made it very clear that she was opposed to both. She thought both were reckless. But she wanted to know why Mike was supportive of the one and worse than scathing about the other. Mike's answer was stunning. Are you ready for it? Well, he said, the government has allowed schools to open, and it hasn't allowed churches (like Trinity) to open...
So there it is. Stunning isn't it?
So what's the difference between the two? Not the danger to the public. Not the potential spread of a 'deadly' contagion. Not the potential increased burden to the hospitals. No, none of that. Instead this: the government said so.
Wow.
She pressed him and they went back and forth, but he held his ground.
Now, I find this fascinating because I have seen something of this on many fronts. Think for example about NHL hockey games played without fans. A lot less people are in attendance, but have you counted how many people are in the building? A lot more than 10! So where is the outrage at the danger to the public? The same is true of other sports.
Actually the same is true of open schools, but also true of large box stores like Costco or stores like Walmart where in some cases 400+ are allowed in the building at one time. Where is the outrage?
Its not as if the contagion is more deadly in a church building than it is in an arena or a box store... right? Actually, this raises another question. What about those BLM protests from last year when thousands upon thousands gathered in (mostly) peaceful protest. Where was the outrage then? Actually, in that case it was similarly illegal, though government officials and police officers alike were found in attendance.
So this had me thinking. We have already come to accept a kind of soft tyranny. Actually, we haven't just accepted it, we've embraced it.
As you consider public outcry as well as expressions of outrage and indignation from civil authorities (and even church leaders) over churches like Trinity Bible Chapel you will find that they are all coming from the same place: the government said so.
That's the standard now.
Think about that. People are calling for Jacob to be locked up. Some have said the key should be thrown away. Others have said his family should be similarly locked up. The hatred and vitriol is stunning. And even Christians speak of him and his congregants as irresponsible madmen. But if that same number of people were found in a Costco looking to stock up on toilet paper no one would bat an eye. Same number of people happen to be found in a school because the government has decided to open it and no one says a thing.
Stunning isn't it?
But what's worse is that this is now the common refrain of church leaders. We ask them, "why are you doing that?" Their answer? "The government said so."
We ask them, "is it right?"
Their answer? "Depends on the government."
As in any tyrannical system the standard is now the government. Not the Bible, not God, but the government.
* The following is based in part on actual conversations, but like Pilgrim's Progress its aim is to communicate, by allegory, Biblical truths.
A conversation between Christian & the Worldy Wiseman
Christian: "Hi pastor, how are you doing?"
Worldly Wiseman. "Great. Never busier. Lots going on in these uncertain times."
Christian. "Wonderful to hear. Tell me more."
Worldly Wiseman: "The gospel is spreading, many are benefiting from the preaching, much good is being done despite the present challenges. Actually, I am pleased to say the opportunities have never been greater."
Christian: "Pastor, this is tremendous news. You must be meeting with a lot of people."
Worldly Wiseman: "No. Not all. That would be illegal."
Christian: "Oh - but you said the gospel was spreading and many were benefiting. Are you visiting the sick and the poor and the imprisoned?"
Worldly Wiseman: "Of course not. That's illegal."
Christian: "I see. Is your church gathering?"
Worldly Wiseman: "Seriously? I would think by now you wouldn't need to ask. That, too, is not allowed. We are not about to break the law. Please, let's not entertain this conversation any longer. I am not about to discuss illegal activities with you or anyone else."
Christian: "Hmm. Ok; but may I ask just a couple more questions for clarification?"
Worldly Wiseman: "Fine."
Christian: "Will you be gathering again at some point?"
Worldly Wiseman: "Depends on whether the government allows us to or not."
Christian: "Ok... but hypothetically speaking, if the government did allow you to gather this Sunday will masks be required?"
Worldly Wiseman: "Depends on what the government says."
Christian: "How many will you allow to come?"
Worldly Wiseman: "However many the government says."
Christian: "I see. May we talk realistically for a moment? Setting aside hypotheticals and possibilities let me ask you a simple question. And please understand, I ask this with all respect. But I am hearing from sheep across the country, and they are lonely and anxious and longing to gather with the saints. So can you please tell me, when will you gather again?"
Worldly Wiseman: "Easy... When the government says we can."
Christian: "How long will you wait?"
Worldly Wiseman: "Until the government says."
Christian: "What if its two more years?"
Worldly Wiseman: "That's up to the government"
Christian: "What if its 10 years?"
Worldly Wiseman: "Again - up to the government."
But now suppose the conversation took a bit of a turn. Naturally, Christian is having a hard time understanding all of this. After all, the church has never been defined as anything else but a gathering. And without that gathering there are no more baptisms, no more Lord's Supper, no more congregational singing, no more in person preaching, no more Christian fellowship.
No need to debate baptism because it doesn't happen! No need to debate the songs that are being sung because they aren't sung. No need to discuss whether to use grape juice or wine because the table is closed. No need to worry about the "one another commands" because they don't hardly see one another anymore. No need to worry about whether you are a sheep or a goat, because no one visits the sick and poor and the imprisoned anymore.
But all of this is rather puzzling and troubling to Christian because, after all, the history of the church is riddled with examples of believers that did all these things even when doing so meant possible death.
So Christian asks Worldly Wiseman for an explanation.
Romans 13 exegeted
Christian: "Pastor, I admit I'm having a hard time with all of this. Can you help me understand why you think we must wait for the government's permission before we do things we have always done and things God has told us to do?
Worldly Wiseman: "That's easy. Read Romans 13."
Christian: "But I have. Wasn't that written by Paul? I thought he was arrested and executed for disobeying the authorities."
Worldly Wiseman: "Careful now. Don't forget that I am the one with the degrees. I have spent my life studying these things. So, how about you listen to the rest of us? You do realize that the defiant rebel churches are in the minority don't you?"
Christian: "Yes; but could we just talk about the Bible?"
Worldly Wiseman: "Of course. But don't forget that Richard Baxter agrees with me, and I could cite hundreds of pastors who also agree."
Christian: "I understand that, but can we get back to the Bible? Tell me why you think Romans 13 means we shouldn't gather for worship?"
Worldly Wiseman: "That one is easy. As you know Richard Baxter agrees with us, and hundreds of other pastors... But, in any case, listen carefully as I quote Scripture to you - 'Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers... and 'Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.' So you see its right there plain as day. We have to obey them."
Christian: "But it says in my Bible that the 'rulers are not a terror to good works but to evil.' If the government forbids us from doing good or commands us to do evil aren't they become a terror to good works rather than evil; and shouldn't they then be disobeyed for God's sake?"
Worldly Wiseman: "No, because the government says we shouldn't, and the Bible says 'Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers'. So when you disobey them you are doing bad."
Christian: "You mean if the government says we can't and we do it that its therefore bad?"
Worldly Wiseman: "Precisely. Again, 'Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers.' And have I mentioned Richard Baxter?"
Christian: "Yes, you and a host of other reformed leaders have quoted Baxter. I admit I find that strange considering they rarely quoted him before and have never published his works. Wasn't he a Neonomian? And what about what William Symington and the Covenanters said? Or Thomas Manton and John Owen and John Flavel and Samuel Rutherford and Alexander Henderson? Actually - forget I said that. Never mind them... what about God? Didn't He say that if you do that which is good you shall have praise of the same and that we must obey God rather than man?"
Worldly Wiseman: "When you get your get PhD in church history and the puritans than you can come quoting those men to me. I fear you have misunderstood all of them. And besides Romans 13 is perfectly clear. You are to be subject unto higher powers!"
Christian: "Yes, you have said that repeatedly. But Paul himself didn't always obey them. In fact Jesus Himself and all the apostles suffered for their disobedience to the magistrate. And the Bible lists countless examples of disobedience to ungodly laws and instructs us in the way of holiness and tells us what is good. Even Romans 13 makes it plain that their authority is borrowed and that our ultimate authority is God. So how can we disobey God to obey man?"
Worldly Wiseman: "I fear for your soul. You are sounding more and more radical as time goes on. I tell you with considerable sadness, the road you are on can only to lead to your own demise and the ruin of your church. The world will hate you, the Church will no longer hear you, and I myself will not entertain this conversation further. But let me offer a parting word before I go. You speak of disobeying God to obey man. That is nonsense. We would never marry a gay couple, we would never condone transgenderism. So have a care. Remember who you are talking to and show me the respect I deserve."
Christian: "My apologies. I didn't mean you any disrespect. Before you go, may I ask for a quick clarification? Aren't you disobeying God to obey man when you stop gathering for worship?"
Worldly Wiseman: "Alright, I will play along for another moment, and then this is conversation is over. Here's my question to you: where is the command that the Church must gather?"
Christian: "What??"
Worldly Wiseman: "Show me in your Bible that what we are doing is sinful. We can still pray privately in our homes, worship privately in our homes and do a host of other Christian things in our homes. And when the government says we can we will gather again."
Christian: "But the Church has only ever been defined as a gathering. And how can you have baptism and the Lord's supper and congregational singing and congregational prayer meetings without it? Isn't this what the Church has always done? See the practice of the Old Testament and New Testament saints. See how the Old Testament defines the Sabbath. Even the first four commandments have always been understood in relationship to a gathered Church. Who we worship, how we worship, the manner of worship and the when of it all have to do with the corporate worship. And that's just a start."
World Wiseman: "But if you are in prison you can't do those things."
Christian: "Yes I understand that. But there is a great difference between can't and won't. If a man falls off a cliff it is an accident. If he jumps it is suicide. The one is an innocent mistake. The other is sin. Duty is ours, events are God's. The secret things belong to Him while the revealed things belong to us."
Worldly Wiseman: "Enough. You are clearly too proud to listen to anyone but yourself. You are proud, you are stubborn, you are rebellious and you have obviously become distracted from your calling by politics. As for me I am determined to preach Christ and Him crucified. There will be no politics in my pulpit! And I will not participate in illegal activities. Call it church if you like. Call it a prayer meeting. I call it illegal. This discussion ends here."
Christian: "Thank you for your time. I won't press the point; but I do hope you will think upon the Scriptures. You have repeatedly cited Baxter but it is to God that we must one day give an account; and it is God's Word that is our only rule of faith and practice. And while I whole heartedly agree that the preacher must make it his life's work to preach Christ and Him crucified, I would urge you to remember that your objection to political preaching was raised by the Gestapo against preachers who preached against Nazism... and while we must be careful not to get distracted, the preacher must not confine himself to laying again and again the foundation of the doctrine of Christ, but as the prophets of old he must know the times and so preach the whole counsel of God's Word."
Conclusion
And so it is that our worldly wise church leaders are reasoning here in Canada and across the globe (with the notable exception of countries already persecuted!).
* You may not know this but many of our church leaders are reasoning with the same logic - even using the same words - as church leaders did before and during the Nazi regime in Germany and Holland. What I have written is fiction. Some of it based on actual conversations, but all of it allegorical. May God help us.

Very good.
ReplyDelete