Favourite 6 Reformed Biographies

This is a near impossible task as I particularly love biographies (and own hundreds).  I chose to name this list of six, Favourite 6 Reformed Biographies, first because I wouldn't presume to name the top 6.  There are so many I haven't read!  I chose the title, second, because my own library is divided between reformed biographies and non-reformed biographies.  In a future post I will share my favourite 6 non-reformed biographies.

I should note here that I include among the reformed, reformed Baptists, reformed Methodists and reformed Anglicans.  

What do I mean by 'reformed'?  Simply that they hold to the doctrines of grace and to the 10 commandments.  

Here, then, are my favourite 6 (of the reformed):


1. Memoirs & Remains of Robert Murray M'Cheyne - Charles Spurgeon said this one should be in every Christian's library.  

2. Diary and Journal of David Brainerd - Few books have had the impact on the Church this one has.  If you read it you will understand why.

3. Memoir, Select Thoughts and Sermons of the Late Rev. Edward Payson - This one is out of print.  I am not sure if copies can be found.  

4. The Life and Letters of Robert Lewis Dabney.  This one is also out of print but used copies can be found.

5. John Elias Life & Letters by Edward Morgan - Here is a man who ought to be known far more widely than he is.  Reading the account of his life I couldn't help but be struck by how different he was.  We might now erect monuments to men such as this, but we would not welcome them in our pulpits!  

6. Diary & Life of Andrew Bonar - This is one of the more encouraging biographies I have read.  It has been a great help to me.

Additional recommendation:

I don't know what category they belong in but the Letters of Samuel Rutherford are truly heavenly.  They belong at the top of any list.


Close runners up:

  • William Grimshaw of Haworth by Faith Cook
  • Asahel Nettleton Life & Labours by B Tyler and A Bonar
  • D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones in 2 volumes by Iain Murray

Currently reading:

  • Memoirs of Thomas Halyburton
  • Samuel Davies:  Apostle to Virginia by Dewey Roberts
  • Life of John Welsh by James Young

Other book lists:

  • For books to read on the Lord's Day go here.
  • For books on revival go here.     
  • For books for discouraged believers go here
  • For books on holiness go here.
  • For books on Christ go here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Church of God & Ray Tinsman

Our Compromise in the Face of Covid-19: An open letter to the Church

On Baptism