Top 6 Books on Revival

Updated October 28, 2020

Here I want to recommend books on the theme of revival.   By that I do not mean biographies of men used in revival like Whitefield, Wesley or Elias. Rather, I mean books written either about the subject itself or books that give accounts of revival. Years ago I was introduced to Why Revival Tarries by Leonard Ravenhill.   That book (in 2003) changed my life.  In fact it had more of an impact on me than any book since.  From that point I have had a growing interest in the subject of revival and also a growing burden to see the Lord revive the Church in this country.   

In 2004 I discovered Sermon IndexThat year I heard three sermons/talks that dramatically impacted me.  The first was titled Ten Shekels and a Shirt.  Though it isn't a sermon on revival, the subject of revival came up.   It was a sermon that changed my perspective on God, missions, salvation and revival.   The second was a gripping account of the revival in the Hebrides by Duncan Campbell.   The third was an interview with Leonard Ravenhill.    These three had a formative influence on my life and added to my growing sense that the Church's great need is for a fresh awakening.   Since that time I have moved from an Arminian Baptist persuasion to confessional Presbyterianism, but I am more convinced of our need for revival today than I was back in 2004.  

Over the years I have read a number of tremendous books on this subject, which makes it particularly difficult to narrow the list to just six.  Hopefully someone will find this list read these six and perhaps be used of God to usher in a great awakening.

Here then are my (current) top 6 on the subject of revival in no particular order:

1.  Why Revival Tarries by Leonard Ravenhill - This book is a stirring call to the Church by a man burdened for revival.  It is not so much a description of revival as a call for prayer.  I vividly remember my first time through that book.  I had read just one page and I was down on my knees.
2. Come Down, Lord! by Roger Ellsworth - This is a very simple but moving book.  Working from Isaiah 63 Ellsworth shows how the Church may seek revival.  We begin, he says, by telling God we miss Him.
3. Revival! A people saturated with God by Brian Edwards - This is probably the single best introduction to the subject of revival.  It is a simple read, and perfect for lay people.  If you don't know what revival is this is the book to read first.
4. Revival of Religion - Of the five on this list this one is easily my favourite.  It has the substance that some of the other books lack, but it is also powerful.  Here is a collection of addresses given by men filled with the Spirit and deeply burdened for the Church in Scotland.  These men were surrounded by ministers and scholars content with the 'ordinary' and puzzled by their fascination with revival.  Their answer is as tremendous as it is convicting.  You cannot read this book without going to prayer with longings that God would again come down.
Sadly, this book is out of print, though copies can be found. Above I have linked to the options through bookfinder.com.
5. The Power of Prayer - Few books are so stirring and encouraging as this one. Do you find it hard to believe that God could or would revive us again? Read this little book. It is wonderful!
6.  Revival! by Richard Owen Roberts.  If you read this book here's what you will gain:
  • First, you will find out what revival is.   Roberts' description is simple, beautiful and winsome.  You will read, and you will find it hard not to weep.  You will read and long and pray.  No born again Christian can read this brief introduction to revival without longing to see such a thing again.  You won't want ease in Zion anymore.  You won't want 'ordinary' you will long for the extraordinary.
  • Second, you will find out when revival is needed... and this is the part that hurts.  Because here the author describes a backslidden Church.  This part was hard.  I've always felt revival was needed, but never so keenly as when this section.  If you are willing to be convinced that revival is needed, if you are not sure revival is needed this is the book you need.
  • Third, you will find out what needs to happen if we will see revival.
This book - if it were read - could change the Church.  Get it if you can and read it.

Other book lists:

  • For books to read on the Lord's Day go here.  
  • For books for discouraged believers go here
  • For books on holiness go here.
Currently reading:
  • The Great Awakening by Joseph Tracy
  • The Calvinistic Methodist Fathers in 2 volumes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Church of God & Ray Tinsman

Our Compromise in the Face of Covid-19: An open letter to the Church

On Baptism