Top 6 Books on Holiness

The following was originally posted on our church blog in 2018.  I have revised and updated the list.  Two books from the previous list have been replaced.

I have offered more than once a list of favourite books and in doing so I have tried to confine my selection to just a very few.   More recently I have concentrated on books that I would want to feed upon if shut up alone with just a few books other than my Bible.   

I have done a number of posts recommending what I consider to be the top 6 books on a variety of themes (see bottom for more).  This time I am recommending books on the subject of Christian living or the Christian's progress in holiness (ie. sanctification).  

I have come up with a list of 6 books dealing very generally with the Christian's progress in holiness and Christian living.  On this subject there are almost endless options and many many excellent books, but I committed from the beginning to limit myself.  

So here are the 6:

1. Holiness by J.C. Ryle.  This work is a well known classic that has helped many.  I learned of it reading Helen Roseveare's book on the same subject.  In the introduction she spoke of the tremendous impact of a particular book on a number of the missionaries years earlier.  The impact was such that it she could describe it as revival.  That book was Ryle's Holiness.  It is a book that every Christian should read.    

2. Vital Godliness: A Treatise on Experimental and Practical Piety by William Plumer.  If I had to pick one book to recommend on holiness/godliness I would pick this one.  It is without peer.  

3. The Christian Man's Calling by George Swinnock (vol, 1, 2 and 3 of his works).  Here is a work that is truly comprehensive.  He seems to cover everything and in a way that profoundly practical.  I found it immensely helpful though it takes some time.  For something simpler and shorter consider Scudder (below).

4. The Christian's Daily Walk by Henry Scudder.  This book was one of John Owen's favourites.  That alone speaks volumes (and not just because Owen wrote so many volumes)!  It is a very practical treatment of a great subject and one that will leave you at once impressed with the gravity of your calling and then trembling as you consider what it means to be a Christian.  There are few books like this anymore.  Few men think this way anymore.  If you are not in earnest about holiness don't even think about reading this book.  It isn't for the faint of heart!  But if you are serious about this all important pursuit than you can't do much better than this: buy and read and pray over The Christian's Daily Walk

5. Heaven Taken By Storm by Thomas Watson.  This book is easy to read for a puritan, but it is at the same time compelling, convicting and deeply sobering.  It is an important book that deserves a place in every Christian library.

6. The Collected Writings of James Henley Thornwell, vol. 2.  If you can get a copy you will have found a true gem.  Here Thornwell deals with such themes as missions, ethics, sincerity, vows, faithfulness, and consistency in a manner that is truly unusual.   He writes as others preach.  Indeed some of these articles are sermons.  But all of them breathe with the author's passion for holiness and love for Christ.  I found them deeply challenging and enriching.  I am amazed that I did not discover them earlier. They are sadly overlooked and therefore underrated by the Church today.

Other book lists:

  • For books to read on the Lord's Day go here.
  • For books on revival go here.     
  • For books for discouraged believers go here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Church of God & Ray Tinsman

Our Compromise in the Face of Covid-19: An open letter to the Church

On Baptism