A retraction


Over the course of the last year, I have had plenty of time to privately reflect on what transpired through 2020 and 2021, and I have concluded that on some points I was in the wrong.  I have decided to address those things here.  Some may disagree with what I have concluded, but I write here first and last for Him.

First, I believe I was sometimes overly harsh and severe in my writing.  I have since removed several blog posts, which I now believe lacked grace and charity.  I still believe the churches should have remained open through the lockdowns, but I wish I had written with a better understanding of my own heart and a more charitable view of my brothers in Christ.  I was appalled by what I saw in those days, but in my zeal to speak the truth I sometimes lacked compassion and grace. 

Second, when I was wronged by colleagues in the ministry I had a choice.  I could have covered what I believed to be sin, but I chose instead to expose it to the public.  I wrote about some of it on my blog, and I agreed to allow some of it to be aired in a documentary.  Upon reflection I wish I had chosen to lovingly cover their sin rather than expose it.  I meant well at the time, but I now believe that my decision to expose these things to the public served neither Christ nor the Church. 

Clarification:  My comments above should be understood simply as a personal reflection upon on my own heart and conduct as it relates to what was brought to light in the documentary.  My comments should not be taken as a criticism of the actions of others who were part of making that documentary, nor am I hinting at guilt by implication.  In other words, if I was wrong it does not follow that they were also wrong.  In fact, I believe there is biblical ground for doing as they did (2 Timothy 4:14).  I know the men who were involved in making the documentary.  I love them and hold them in the highest esteem.  I know that they first reached out to Rev. Kingswood for comment, and he chose not to respond.  I know, too, that their hope was that the documentary might have the effect of bringing this man to repentance.   I hoped the same.  So even while I have reflected here with some regret upon my own decisions, I am still grateful for the documentary and for the men who put it together.  I don't believe - for a moment - that there was any wrongdoing on their part.  My comments, here, are merely my own personal reflection on my part in what transpired.  What was done was done by a brother (whom I knew and loved) and it was done against me.  In hindsight I wish I had responded to that brother differently [Edited May 22, 2024].

Third, I believe now that I was wrong to leave the Canadian Presbytery the way I did.  In 2021 I chose to transfer my credentials to Vanguard presbytery without first informing my presbytery.  I had reasons for doing so, and I was acting on the advice of a number of godly men; but I now believe I was in error.   I see now that my decision to leave in the way I did actually backfired.  It confused my congregation, frustrated and disappointed my presbytery and ultimately helped no one.  If I could take back that decision I would.

Finally, I want to apologize for what I wrote (in 2022) about compliant pastors.  In that particular piece I was writing about pastors and elders who had restricted the number of people who could gather for worship through 2020 and 2021.   I said, “If your pastor and elders have not publicly repented for closing the church and enforcing government mandates, leave immediately.”  I added that I believed such men had “disqualified themselves from the ministry.”  I have come to regret those words.   I still maintain that the churches should have continued gathering (without restrictions) through the lockdowns, but I don’t believe the compliant pastors and elders have disqualified themselves; nor would I – now - advise their people to find another church.  As I reflect on that particular post I am ashamed by how swift I was to pronounce judgement.  I know that those men stand or fall before their own Master; and I am grateful that He is slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.

- Steve Richardson



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Church of God & Ray Tinsman

On Baptism