Bill C-6 and what it changes

 


Let this be then the conclusion of all together, that we will suffer our goods to be taken away, our name, our life, and all that we have; but the gospel, our faith, Jesus Christ, we will never suffer to be wrested from us… Wherefore, God assisting me, my forehead shall be more hard than all men’s foreheads. Here I take upon me this title, according to the proverb, Cedo nulli. I give place to none. Yea, I am glad even with all my heart, in this point to seem rebellious and obstinate. And here I confess that I am, and ever will be stout and stern, and will not one inch give place to any creature. - Martin Luther



The new bill speaks in its preamble of "the myth that a person's sexual orientation and gender identity can and ought to be changed." It then prohibits advertisements "for conversion therapy." At first glance I saw no real problem with the bill (apart from the ideologically driven preamble). I didn't hardly know what conversion therapy was, nor had I any interest in learning more. But I read on... and discovered that conversion therapy is defined as "a practice, treatment or service designed to change a person's sexual orientation to heterosexual or gender identity to cisgender, or to repress or reduce a non-heterosexual attraction or sexual behaviour."


Still I didn't see anything too worrying about what I was reading. As a pastor I don't offer "a practice" or "treatment" of any kind to anyone let alone those mentioned specifically in the bill. And I can't exactly advertise what I don't offer.


But -


I do believe that a person's sexual orientation (if unnatural) can be changed by God, and I believe that in such cases it ought to be changed (Romans 1; 1 Corinthians 6). In the same way I believe that a person's gender identity can and ought to be changed by God when that person's identity is different than the sex He assigned them.


Further -


While I don't "treat" people, I do occasionally counsel them.


And while I don't have "a practice," I do have a ministry in which I am called by Jesus Christ to preach and teach the whole counsel of God (Acts 20:27), reproving, rebuking and exhorting in season and out of season (2 Timothy 4:2).


So what does all this mean for my future as a minister of the gospel? Am I allowed to preach (and teach and counsel) the power of God to save LGBTQIA+ persons from their sin? Am I allowed to tell them that God can deliver them and change them? Am I allowed to tell them that their "orientation" and/or "identity" in such cases is abominable to God and worthy of eternal damnation? Am I allowed to tell them to repent of their unnatural desires and 'orientations'? And what exactly does the bill mean when it speaks of advertising? If these things are allowed - if I am still 'allowed' to preach and teach and counsel according to a Biblical ethic - am I not allowed to advertise that I do?


The bill raises a host of questions, and at this point I don't know the answer to any of them.  But I do know what I ought to do and what I will do.  In terms of preaching, teaching and pastoral ministry I will change nothing.  I never did advertise and I have no intention of starting now.  But I will continue to preach the whole counsel of God without compromise.  I will continue to call "abominable" what God calls "abominable" (Leviticus 18:22).  I will continue to urge sinners (of all kinds) to repentance; and I will continue to preach God's power to save.  


A word, then, to my fellow pastors and elders:  We must never suffer the gospel of Jesus Christ to be wrested from us!  We must at all costs go on proclaiming the power of God to save even to the most wretched of sinners.  


What, then, are we saying when we speak of His power to "save"?   


1. First, that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God.  The wages of sin is death.  All who go on in sin are under the curse of God and will be cast into the lake of fire to be burned with the demons for ever and ever.  


2. Second, that at Calvary Jesus Christ made full atonement for the sins of His people.   He who knew no sin became sin that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.  By His blood there is remission of sins.  


3. Third, that a man or woman must be born again if they will enter the kingdom of God.   No therapist, pastor or teacher anywhere on earth can make another person born again.   But God can.  God is the One who must circumcise the heart and make people willing in the day of His power.  It is He who shines in their hearts to give them the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.  It is He who sets prisoners free and raises the dead.   It is who He grants faith and repentance to those who cannot believe or repent.


4. Fourth, that if you will be saved you must believe on Jesus Christ and repent of all your sin (sexual and otherwise).  In other words, you must come to Jesus Christ on His terms.  You must take Him as He is offered to you, Lord and Saviour, Prophet, Priest and King.  Our coming to Him in faith and repentance is a coming to Him in unconditional surrender.  His law and Word becomes our rule (and by His power it becomes our delight).


5. Fifth, that LGBTQIA+ (etc.) is unnatural and abominable in the sight of God.  Those who do or approve of such things are already condemned.  They are under the curse of God and will suffer eternal torment if they remain as they are unrepentant and unchanged.   But God is able and willing to save to the uttermost all who come to Him by Jesus Christ.  Therapy cannot save, but Jesus can.  


The Canadian government has changed its attitude toward those who are LGBTQIA+ and with this bill it has signaled a change of policy toward those who believe such practices, desires and orientations are wicked.  But God hasn't changed.  With Him there is no shadow of turning.  He is not a man that He should repent.  


So what does Bill C-6 change?   Nothing.  Like Luther before me I take for my motto Cedo Nulli.  I yield to none.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Church of God & Ray Tinsman

Our Compromise in the Face of Covid-19: An open letter to the Church

On Baptism