Masks & Social Distancing: Clearing up some misconceptions

I have been hearing some strange things about my position and the position of Faith Presbyterian Church with regard to masks, social distancing and civil obedience/disobedience.

I hope here to set some of the record straight.  

1. First the opinions expressed here on this blog are my own and not necessarily those of my Session.

2. Second, we do, indeed, allow people to wear masks when they gather for worship.  In fact, the position of our elders has been quite straightforward.  Rather than imposing on the consciences of God's people, we have decided to allow each one to do as their conscience dictates.  Some choose not to wear masks and they are not barred from worship for that decision.  Others choose to wear them and they are not barred from worship either.  Many churches are divided over this subject.  I believe our Session's approach has served the unity of the church because where others have mandated we haven't.  We understand some will wear the mask and others won't.  We do not wish to put a stumbling block in the way of either so both are welcome to gather with us.  

2. Third, social distancing is left again to the conscience of the individual.  Though I am of the opinion that social distancing is ungodly, our Church has been very clear about this.  We respectfully accept the decision of those who choose to maintain that 2 metre distance; and we love them as family in Christ.  When I am shopping I respect the distance of others.  I maintain that 2 metre distance out of deference to them; but where possible I behave as I did pre-2020.  

3. Fourth, I have nowhere encouraged Christians to defy their own elders.  Rather, I have said that elders haven't a right to legislate where God hasn't... This was the position of James Bannerman as well as the framers of the Westminster Confession of Faith.  I also believe (with our forefathers) that we must be very careful of the consciences of those under our care.  We must not lord it over the heritage of the Lord.  Before their Master they stand or fall.  My hope is that Christians would honour their elders and pray for them.  If congregants cannot in good conscience comply with the unlawful commands of a particular church body there is a way to do so firmly though also with humility, grace and respect.  

4.  Fifth, I am not for anarchy.  I believe it is wise to obey the government as far as possible.  As a Christian I have always kept the laws of the land as far as possible.   I am for honouring the magistrate.  I am for praying for the magistrate.  However, I am against unlawful laws.  I believe that when there is a conflict between God's law and man's law God is to be obeyed.  That is a simple and basic principle.  

But I also believe that our civil magistrates have no right to introduce positive laws.  Their laws are lawful only so far as they are in keeping with God's law.  They can't simply command mask wearing at their say so.  To disobey them on these points is not anarchy or rebellion.  As a friend put it, "If a law is arbitrary and random with no basis upon God's law it is utter tyranny." It is ironic that people who have openly made fun of their civil leaders and often neglected to pray for them now insist that people in 'my camp' are refusing them the honour that they are due.

5.  Sixth, I don't believe that social distancing and mask wearing are indifferent matters.  If I did I would wear the mask and practice social distancing.  In the past I have given up hymns, alcohol and tobacco for others... this is different.  My conscience won't allow me to do either. 

6.  Seventh, I am bewildered by the open hypocrisy on the part of many.   Back when I was called seditious for gathering with others for worship most Christians were gathering in sometimes larger groups with family and/or friends for fellowship and fun.  Both activities were acts of civil disobedience, but the one was in service of God while the other in service of neighbour (or self).  Incredibly, to my knowledge at least, no one was criticized for these repeated acts of 'rebellion'.    But what about mask wearing and social distancing?  Most men who differ with me don't consistently do either.  They don't wear the mask everywhere they are supposed to, and they don't social distance at all times either... but they object to my position as dishonouring to the magistrate.  The only difference (as far as I can tell) is consistency on my part vs inconsistency on theirs.  

What about those of you who regularly break the speed limits only to slow down when in danger of being caught?  What about those of you who violate firearms laws?   These laws are not broken for the sake of conscience.  They are broken for convenience.  Let's be careful that we are at very least consistent!  Some of you will spank your children no matter what the government says.  You won't let your children have the vaccines whatever the government says.  You won't let the government have your firearms whatever they say.  How then can you charge other Christians with rebellion and sin when they, for conscience sake, won't comply with laws which have no basis in Scripture?

Edit, September 26 2020: I spoke of open hypocrisy on the part of some.  I want to acknowledge here that there are those whose inconsistencies are less to do with hypocrisy than they are to do with an ongoing sincere struggle to faithfully work out principles.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Church of God & Ray Tinsman

Our Compromise in the Face of Covid-19: An open letter to the Church

On Baptism